Tuesday 22 March 2011

Selfish Londoners

The problem with cities of country sizes is that you have everything inside it. Everything that is good and everything that is bad, so poor people, crazy people, weird people, sick people are everywhere. This can't be an excuse for anything, but in one of the biggest cities in the world you can sometimes feel that you are alone and maybe nobody will help you if you need.
Yesterday when I was walking to work, passing by the main entrance of the tube, I was shocked with what I saw. A man was lying in the floor, and a guy was over him doing CPR. I passed on the side and the man was with is eyes open and staring at the sky as if a lightning bolt stroked him. He was dead!!!! There was a guy trying to revive him as you can see in the images below. I stayed close in case anything was needed but everyone, I mean everyone was just passing by, not even looking. Simply ignoring that a help was needed. It is a very busy station, I can assure you that hundreds go out the door per minute.
And there I was staring to the attempt to save that man. The ambulance came 2 minutes after and they brought everything. I could not leave the place, I still remember the eyes of the man looking... to empty space!!
And 15 minutes... yes 15 minutes... after the first guy I saw started the CPR the man started to breath!!!
Even though I've been working in hospitals for some time, it is the first time I actually see a life saving... and that I see someone dead and then alive...
I was shocked with the selfish of this world but was overwhelmed with a life saving!!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ficaste a ver porque és um mirone!! Um Tuga típico!! ;))
Olha, aqui uma velhinha esteve 9 anos morta em casa sem ninguém dar por ela!! :P

Xarinha said...

Se fosse na Tugalandia, ja estavam a tentar levanta-lo e leva-lo para o hospital ali ao lado!Ou entao a sufocar o homem de tanta proximidade...mas pelo menos fariam alguma calor humano:)

Xarinha said...

Se fosse na Tugalandia, ja estavam a tentar levanta-lo e leva-lo para o hospital ali ao lado!Ou entao a sufocar o homem de tanta proximidade...mas pelo menos fariam alguma calor humano:)